Solid Signal’s HANDS ON REVIEW: SureCall EZ4G Generation 2 Cell Booster

TOPICS:

This isn’t last year’s booster… this is an all new version of the SureCall EZ4G 5-band booster. I’ll forgive you if you think you’ve read this review before, because we just published the review of the previous generation booster a few months ago. That was a serious, industrial-grade booster at a serious price and I was impressed. Unfortunately, not everyone has that kind of coin to spend on a cell booster and that’s why I’m even more excited about the second generation. It’s easier to use, easier to set up, and even better it’s about half the price of the previous version… and just as powerful.

I’m getting ahead of myself here. Let’s dig in.

This review is available in PDF format… download it now!

What’s in the package

You get an attractive retail package with this booster. Obviously that sort of thing doesn’t matter much if you’re buying online, but it’s nice to know in case you’re giving one of these as a gift or something. But you’re more interested in what’s in the box… so let’s get started.

This is the actual amplifier part of the system. It doesn’t look like any cell booster you’ve ever seen before, unless you saw the early review we did of this unit at CES. Unlike other boosters, you could be forgiven for saying that this one’s actually stylish. Considering that it needs to sit right at your window, that’s a good thing. Your neighbors might see it, so they might as well be looking at something nice.

The back side of the booster has a large groove….

…which accommodates one of these adhesive strips if you’d rather just stick the booster to the window. The other adhesive pad can be used as a spare.

If you’d rather not stick something to your window, there’s a stand which can also be used with the adhesive pad if you’d prefer. More on that later.

This is the indoor antenna. It’s solid, about the size of a bottle of soda.

The last little bits are the power adapter and the cable. This is a complete kit and comes with everything you need. I was most impressed that this is good quality RG6, not the thin stuff you’ve seen on other cell boosters.

The only assembly you’ll have to do

Personally, I recommend using this booster on its supplied stand. I’m not a big fan of sticking things to the window. But that’s completely your call. If you want to use the supplied stand, start by feeding the cable ends from the booster through the top. Don’t try to push them through the slot, they are too thick.

There are a couple of clear plastic caps at the top of the stand, you should also take them off (as I did here.)

Near the bottom of the amplifier there are two round stickers. A precision screwdriver and a very light touch will help you take them off…

…exposing a pair of holes where the stand fits.

Gently push the stand into the amplifier. If you’ve lined it up, the curve of the stand will line up with the curve of the amplifier, like you see here.

When it’s all assembled, it will look like this.

Installing the booster

This is incredibly easy. Stand the amplifier on a window sill or stick it to the window. The logo side should face indoors, as you see here.

Connect the power adapter and one end of the cable. If you would rather use any other RG6 cable you have lying around, it will probably work just as well. Don’t plug things into the wall yet.

Now this is important. You really do need 20 feet between the amplifier and the antenna. Any less, and it won’t function well.

Place the antenna near where you want the best cell service to be and connect the other end of the RG6 cable.

Now plug the amplifier into the wall. After about 30 seconds it will be ready to use.

That’s it.

Here’s how well it works.

I tested this booster against a pre-installed zBoost YX545M, the one I reviewed here. The YX545M is a 60dB booster with a large outdoor antenna. It’s also 3G-only, so I limited my tests to the voice bands. The EZ4G is rated at 65-72dB of boost.

The EZ4G is also a data booster, so it will boost LTE as well, but I wanted to keep this a fair comparison of power. All tests were conducted on the same day and the same iPhone 6 was used as a signal meter.

Remember that the further away you get from zero, the worse your signal is. Another way of saying that is that the top line represents the best performance.

I was blown away by what I saw in testing.

It’s pretty simple… the EZ4G gave over 20dB more boost, meaning one hundred times more signal than the ZB545M. It also delivered a real-world 40dB difference between cell signal with no booster and the falloff wasn’t as steep as it was with the ZB545M. Plain and simple, I went from 1 bar to 5 bars and all this is without getting up on the roof to put up an antenna. I was amazed.

Wrapping it all up

I am incredibly impressed by this new EZ4G. Setup was easy and fast, no holes in the wall and no outdoor antenna. I could have set this up in 5 minutes or less if I had wanted to, meaning that if I needed to I could take it with me and use it wherever I need better reception. The power level was astounding especially from an indoor booster.

I generally don’t quote prices on cell boosters in reviews, but I will tell you this: The EZ4G is priced well below other boosters with lower performance levels. It amplifies voice, 3G, 4G, and LTE for AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, and pretty much everyone but Sprint (it does amplify voice for Sprint.) If this is the future of cellular booster technology… sign me up.

Here’s a little unboxing video for all of you who want to take a closer look:

Shop for the all new second-generation EZ4G cell booster from SureCall at SolidSignal.com now!

About the Author

Stuart Sweet
Stuart Sweet is the editor-in-chief of The Solid Signal Blog and a "master plumber" at Signal Group, LLC. He is the author of over 10,000 articles and longform tutorials including many posted here. Reach him by clicking on "Contact the Editor" at the bottom of this page.