The battle between the streaming services providers is no “cold war.” Things are heating up nearly every week as each of these streaming services tries to outdo the other. They’re all battling for your dollar, after all, so the stakes are high. Acquiring local TV affiliates is one of the ways these companies position their services in the market. Original content is yet another way they choose to fight it out in the marketplace. These two things – local TV channels and original content – highlight this week in streaming. The top players are DIRECTV NOW, fuboTV, and Hulu.
DIRECTV NOW Added 20+ Local TV Affiliates
DIRECTV NOW recently added more local affiliates to its live TV app. These TV stations are spread out among three providers – CBS, Fox, and NBC – and across many TV markets across the country. If you see your local channel(s) on this list, it might not be in your guide yet. Keep checking over the next few days until you see these stations listed.
Here are the latest local TV affiliates to be added to the DIRECTV NOW live TV app:
- WRGB (CBS) – Albany, NY
- KEYE (CBS) – Austin, TX
- WKRC (CBS) – Cincinnati, OH
- WWMT (CBS) – Grand Rapids, MI
- WHP (CBS) – Harrisburg, PA
- KUTV (CBS) – Salt Lake City, UT
- WPEC (CBS) – West Palm Beach, FL
- WGRZ (NBC) – Buffalo, NY
- KHBC (NBC) – Honolulu, HI
- WTLV (NBC) – Jacksonville FL
- KSNV (NBC) – Las Vegas
- WAVE (NBC) – Louisville
- WMC (NBC) – Memphis
- WPMI (NBC) – Mobile AL
- WJAR (NBC) – Providence RI
- WWBT (NBC) – Richmond, VA
- WOAI (NBC) – San Antonio, TX.
- KRQE (Fox) – Albuquerque, NM
- WXIX (Fox) – Cincinnati, OH
- KHON (Fox) – Honolulu, HI
- WVBT (Fox) – Norfolk, VA
- WRAZ (Fox) – Raleigh/Roanoke, VA
FuboTV Ads 16 New Local TV Affiliates
FuboTV recently added 16 new CBS, Fox, and NBC affiliates. This increases fuboTV’s local affiliates to more than 276. This means that the streaming service provider delivers Fox coverage to 90 percent of U.S. households, NBC coverage in 73 percent of households, CBS coverage in about 69 percent of households. Whether its Fox, NBC, or CBS, fuboTV’s coverage includes all or nearly all of the top 20 and top 50 markets in the U.S.
Here are the local stations fuboTV recently added to its live TV app:
- WMAZ (CBS) – Macon, GA
- KXJB (CBS) – Fargo-Valley City, ND
- KYTX (CBS) – Tyler-Longview, TX
- WCTV (CBS) – Tallahassee, FL, Thomasville, GA
- WGXA (Fox) – Macon, GA
- WRSP (Fox) – Springfield-Decatur-Champaign, IL
- KVRR (Fox) – Fargo-Valley City, ND
- KFOX (Fox) – El Paso, TX (Las Cruces)
- KLJB (Fox) – Davenport, IA – Rock Island-Moline, IL
- WFXB (Fox) – Myrtle Beach-Florence, SC
- KFXK (Fox) – Tyler-Longview, TX
- KTTW (Fox) – Sioux Falls, IA (Mitchell)
- WFFT (Fox) – Ft. Wayne, IN
- WTWC (Fox) – Tallahassee, FL – Thomasville, GA
- KVLY (NBC) – Fargo-Valley City, ND
- WJHG (NBC) – Panama City, FL
Hulu’s The Handmaid’s Tale Season 2 Out Now
The Handmaid’s Tale, Hulu’s wildly popular original series, is back with a second season. The first two episodes are available on Hulu, with additional episodes to be added each week until the conclusion of the season. A huge number of Hulu subscribers who tuned in for the show’s first season will likely welcome season two. Hulu credited the series for helping the streaming service exceed 17 million subscribers.
The Handmaid’s Tale is a TV series adapted from a novel of the same name by Margaret Atwood. The plot centers upon a totalitarian future society plagued by extremely low birthrates. In this dystopian world, fertile women – aka handmaids – are forced into a plan to help repopulate the world. The story focuses on Offred, a handmaiden struggling to survive in this brutal world long enough to find the daughter who was taken from her.
If you’re not one of the millions tuning in to this bizarre yet compelling show, here’s the trailer for the second season of The Handmaid’s Tale:
What Will It Be Next Week?
Do you have any predictions for the next hottest thing in streaming? I do, but it’s limited to this one idea – it will be something. Like I said earlier, these streaming service providers are all fighting hard for viewership and the money that comes with it. I have no doubt that this will lead to bigger and better innovations in the world of streaming. As always, the Solid Signal Blog will be here to report on it for all of our readers who enjoy this ever-evolving way of watching your favorite TV shows, movies, and more.