Marty Silbernik is the author of I’m Too Old To Do This, a tech blog for folks who remember when none of this stuff existed. This article appears with permission.
I was reading something the other day and it got me thinking. The article was about what the future held for electronics and tech devices. If you read this blog regularly, you’ve probably seen this article about the Millennials that I shared with everyone.
And if you happen to follow the tech industry, this week is the Consumer Electronics Show (CES). This annual even showcases the latest and greatest products and ideas in the tech world. I’m anxious to see what’s being talked about and share some of that with you.
Anyway, all three of these things got me thinking about all the changes I’ve seen, especially related to my electronics and tech stuff. Over the years, there’s quite a few things that were “must have” things that are no longer part of our lives or have changed dramatically. Things like:
Reel to Reel recorders
- 8 Track tapes
- Video Tape Recorders (Beta THEN VHS)
- Black and White TVs
- Rotary Dial Phones
- Leaded Gasoline
- Sony Walkman
- Portable CD Players
And the electronics landscape is changing quickly.
- Desktop computers are being replaced by Laptops
- Laptops are getting replaced with tablets
- Music devices are getting smaller with larger and larger capacities
- Landlines are slowly disappearing and being replaced by VOIP (Internet based telephone services) and cell phones
- People “cutting the cord” – getting rid of cable or satellite and find alternate sources of programming that cost less
In essence, technology is evolving and at a faster pace than ever before. So that’s what this post is about. But, I want to take a slightly different approach today. I could give you my thoughts about what I think might happen. But I want this blog to be both informative and thought provoking. So rather than me talking (or actually writing) about what I think is going to happen, I’d like you all to give me some of your thoughts. We’ve all seen and experienced changes that have affected us. Tell me what you think!
- What do you miss that’s no longer with us?
- What would you like to see happen?
- What do you think will appear or disappear in the next 5-10 years?
- What kind of tech changes would make your life better or easier?
Lets make this topic interactive. Take a few minutes and post a reply here. Send it on to your friends… let them take a look and offer their insights and thoughts. But lets’ not just lock ourselves into a simple “like” on Facebook. Lets get a discussion going among all of us. Let’s have some fun with this in the new year!
Thanks for reading and be sure to forward, follow, comment on and share it!