“It won’t happen to me!!” Famous last words, when it comes to home break in’s. Check out these eye opening facts…
The U.S. leads the world in break-ins In 2010, there were an estimated 2,159,878 burglaries
- The FBI says every 14.6 seconds in the U.S. a house gets broken into (by the time you’re finished reading this, 28 homes will have been broken into)
- Only about 17% of all homes in the U.S. have some type of security system and the other 83% without any type of security are 3 times more likely to be robbed
- The University of North Carolina at Charlotte’s Department of Criminal Justice and Criminology found a majority of convicted burglars say they avoided homes with camera systems, alarms and security systems.
- The Bureau of Justice Statistics Special Report states that a household member was home in 28% of burglaries and a household member suffered violence in 7% of burglaries.
- Only 13% of burglaries are cleared by police and recovering a victim’s property is even less likely
- Average loss per burglary is about $2,200 (much more than a CCTV system)
- The FBI reports that the number one factor in keeping homes secure is a strong security system. This can be an alarm to the police or CCTV system. The cameras can be visible to keep them from busting in or hidden and used for evidence later in the investigation.
Why protect your business?
Every Business has had or will have some sort of theft happen this year. It could even be happening right now!! Don’t believe me? Do you believe the U.S. Chamber of Commerce?
- The U.S. Chamber of Commerce states that the U.S. small businesses lose at least $50,000,000,000 (that’s billion with a “B”) a year from employee theft
- Another $50,000,000,000 is lost from shoplifting, theft, vandalism, etc that’s a total of $100,000,000,000 that is a lot of zero’s my friend!!
- The Chamber also states that about 30% of small businesses will fail and shut down because they got robbed, ripped off and scammed. That’s about 1 in 3!
- 3 out of 4 employees will be stealing from you this year
- The #1 thing stolen…CASH
- The average amount stolen over time…$20,000
- There’s also time theft, petty theft, expensive items, stealing from co-workers, from clients and customers, giving friends and family discounts and freebies, booze, food, clothes, CDs/DVDs, trash bags, pens, paper, etc
- Another source of lost profits is vendor theft which costs U.S. businesses $107,000,000,000 per year (roughly 5.5% of total shrinkage). C-stores and grocery stores get ripped off the worst with as much as 20% in total losses
- Employee theft puts your business at risk, the tax base at risk and the overall economy at risk
In court, video doesn’t lie!